Not many people know this but Visio can accept and refresh data..... I know, it sounds crazy but its true!
In this article we will briefly discuss how to make Visio 2013 do stuff....
First, create some shapes inside Visio 2013, give them the color you would like to use:
1. Select the Data Tab inside Visio 2013
2. Select 'Link Data to Shapes"
5. Select Browse and find your Excel Workbook
6. After finding your Excel Workbook, and opening it, click next
7. Notice on this page the option for "Frist row of data contains column headers" this is important when data linking for ease of use
8. Finally, select Finish
9. After selecting Finish, the External Data tab at the bottom of Visio will open automatically
a. Still in the Data Tab of Visio, select the drop down for Data Graphics
b. Then, at the bottom deselect "Apply after Linking Data to Shapes"
12. Select your Title Shape
13. Go to the Insert Tab
14. Select Field
16. Now on the right you will see your column headers, in this example Kyle's name is in the "Hits" Column, so I will be selecting that one:
18. Now lets say that I want to see Kyle's Batting Average as a percentage instead of .263 (I know to you baseball fans this sounds ridiculous but bear with me)
19. When you go to insert the batting average number, above where it says OK and Cancel it says Data Format
a. Select this and you will be prompted with something you have probably seen before in Excel (Format Cells)
b. In here you can select Percentage and how many places you would like the number to go back:
I'd love to see what you are doing out there with Visio 2013!!